International Pizza Challenge™
CONGRATULATIONS TO FLORIANA PASTORE, WINNER OF THE 2013 PIZZA MAKER OF THE YEAR AWARD!
Since its inception in 2007, the International Pizza Challenge™ has evolved and grown in stature and in prize money. The first competition in 2007 had no restrictions, but evolved into a pure Traditional competition in 2008. The success of the 2008 contest resulted in the expansion to two divisions in 2009 — Traditional and Non-Traditional. In 2012, we added two new categories — American-Pan and Italian-Style.
A maximum of 60 entries will be accepted in the Traditional and Non-Traditional divisions; contestants will be capped at 16 in American-Pan and Italian-Style. For the preliminary rounds, Traditional and Non-Traditional contestants will be placed in regional groups on Tuesday and Wednesday, with a winner from each region advancing to the final challenge on Thursday. A panel of judges assigns scores for each pizza in the Challenge.
Contestants bring their own ingredients, while show management provides refrigeration space, equipment and ovens. Judging panels are composed of impartial chefs, food critics and other pizzeria owners, and they score each pie using the following criteria:
Taste is scored on:
- Sauce, Cheese, Toppings
- Overall Taste
- Creativity (Non-Traditional and American-Pan divisions only)
Visual Presentation / Appearance is scored on:
The following pizza artisans have taken home the top prize since the contest began.
2013 Traditional Division Regional Winners:
- Northeast: Bruno DiFabio, Renapoli, Old Greenwich, CT.
- Northwest: Thiago Vasconcelos, Tony's Pizza Napoletana, San Francisco, CA.
- Southeast: Jane Mines, Nima's Pizza & More Inc., Gassville, AR.
- Southwest: Michael Stevens, Pallo Mesa Pizza, Arroyo, CA.
- Mid-America: Javier Valdez, Joe's New York Pizza, Henderson, NV.
- International: Danilo Lupo, Pizzeria Defina, Toronto, ON.
- Wild Card: Leah Scurto, Pizza My Heart, Las Gatos, CA.
- Canada: Rick Nixon, Itza Ristorante & Pizzeria, Nelson, B.C.
2013 Traditional Division FINALS:
- 1st: Thiago Vasconcelos, Tony's Pizza Napoletana, San Francisco, CA.
- 2nd: Jane Mines, Nima's Pizza & More Inc., Gassville, AR.
- 3rd: Bruno DiFabio, Renapoli, Old Greenwich, CT.
2013 Non-Traditional Division Regional Winners:
- Northeast: Doug Ferriman, Crazy Dough's Pizza, Boston, MA.
- Northwest: Tim Hoffman, Barros Pizza, Phoenix, AZ.
- Southeast: Michael LaMarca, Master Pizza, Mayfield Heights, OH.
- Southwest: Joleen Piser, AJ Barile's Chicago Pizza, Yucaipa, CA.
- Mid-America: Melissa Rickman, Wholly Stromboli, Fort Lupton, CO.
- International: Floriana Pastore, Italy
- Wild Card: Lars Smith, Pizza My Heart, Los Gatos, CA.
- Canada: Rocco Agostino, Pizzeria Libretto, Toronto, Ontario
2013 Non-Traditional Division FINALS:
- 1st: Floriana Pastore, Italy
- 2nd: Tim Hoffman, Barros Pizza, Phoenix, AZ.
- 3rd: Rocco Agostino, Pizzeria Libretto, Toronto, Ontario
2013 American Pan Winners:
- 1st: Jeff Smokevitch, Brown Dog Pizza, Telluride, CO.
- 2nd: Matthew Heard, Humble Pie, Edmond, OK.
- 3nd: Matt Tierney, Pele's Wood Fire, Jacksonville, FL.
2013 Italian-Style Winners:
- 1st: Michele D'Amelio, Pizzeria Testa, Liono (AV), Italy.
- 2nd: Chris Calloway, Pele's Wood Fire, Jacksonville, FL.
- 3nd: Akinari Makishima, SOLO PIZZA Napoletana Co. Ltd., Nagoya, Aichi/Japan
2013 Best of the Best Champion: Theo Kalogeracos, Perth, Australia
2013 Pizza Maker of the Year Award: Floriana Pastore, Italy
2012 Traditional Winner of $7,500
Pizza My Heart
Los Gatos, CA
2012 Non-Traditional Winner of $7,500
Goodfella's Brick Oven Pizza
Staten Island, NY
2012 American-Pan Winner of $4,000
Detroit Style Pizza Co.
St. Clair Shores, MI
Shawn also took home the 2012 Pizza Maker of the Year prize of $5,000 by winning the Mystery-Ingredient Bake-Off.
2012 Italian-Style Winner of $4,000
2012 "Best of the Best" Blind-Box Bake-Off Winner of $2,500
Tony's Pizza Napoletana
San Francisco, CA
2011 Traditional Winner of $10,000
Carmelo also took home the 2011 Pizza Maker of the Year prize of $5,000 by winning the Blind Box Bake-Off.
2011 Non-Traditional Winner of $10,000
2010 Traditional Winner of $10,000
2010 Non-Traditional Winner of $10,000
Theo also took home the 2010 Pizza Maker of the Year prize of $5,000 by winning the Blind Box Bake-Off.
2009 Traditional Winner of $10,000
Grazziano also took home the first Pizzaiolo of the Year prize of $5,000.
2009 Non-Traditional Winner of $10,000
Staten Island, NY
2008 Traditional Winner of $10,000
2007 Winner of $5,000
E. Jay Myers
Staten Island, NY